The Department of Housing and Community Development/DHCD exists to serve Massachusetts residents and ensure that they live with dignity and safety. See their website here or read below to learn more about how to apply in the South Shore region.
Massachusetts can help you with past-due rent payments and utility bills.
- Use this link to apply as a renter
- Use this link to apply as a landlord
- Use this link to find information on free legal help and mediation for landlords and tenants
For more information on Massachusetts emergency rental assistance visit Mass.gov
Improvements Made to Emergency Rental Assistance Application
Massachusetts made improvements to streamline the application process for emergency rental assistance. The state launched a new single, centralized application that replaces applications used by each individual regional agency. DHCD also expanded the application to allow landlords of any size to apply for emergency assistance on behalf of tenants.
The Housing Toolbox for Massachusetts Communities was developed by the Citizens Housing and Planning Association (CHAPA) and the Massachusetts Housing Partnership (MHP) as part of a statewide initiative to support local officials and volunteers in their efforts to provide more affordable housing opportunities in their communities.
THE RENTAL ASSISTANCE DATABASE
This database is being maintained to keep track of funding efforts and best practices. Key features include:
- Search what communities have implemented an ERA program. This includes how much money the municipality has pledged, agency administering the program, funding source, max benefit per household, and targeted area median income (AMI).
- Submit updates or changes to the ERA program in your community by completing the form at the top of the spreadsheet. Your input will help us keep the most accurate information.
- Each entry has contact information and links to program information or application. The spreadsheet can be a tool for communities and program administrators to learn from each other and share best practices.
- Help connect landlords and tenants to what local programs are available outside of RAFT.