The state’s moratorium on evictions expired on Saturday, October 17th, 2020.

For more information on both the state and federal moratorium, please see below, compiled in October by the Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts, LLC.

Many of you may have heard that the Centers For Disease Control (CDC) has enacted a nationwide moratorium on evictions (CDC Order) through the end of this year (December 31st, 2020). Once the state’s moratorium on evictions expires on Saturday, the CDC Order will take effect. The CDC Order covers virtually all rental properties and bars landlords from taking any action to remove or cause the removal of a tenant who is protected under the Order. To be protected against eviction under the Order, a Tenant must provide their landlord with a statement signed under the pains and penalties of perjury certifying that they; (1) have used their best efforts to obtain government rental assistance; (2) expect to earn less than $99,000 ($198,000 if filing a joint tax return) in 2020; (3) are unable to pay their rent due to a loss of income extraordinary medical expenses; (4) are using their best efforts to make timely partial payments; (5) and would be homeless or need to double-up if evicted. The Massachusetts Trial Court has taken the position that the CDC Order allows eviction filings to go forward, but prevents landlords from actually moving a protected tenant out of their home prior to January 1st, 2021. The Court is also taking the position that the CDC Order only applies to cases filed for non-payment of rent; it’s application to cases filed for no-fault remains an open question.

Please see attached CDC Declaration Form and Fact Sheet.  You need to fill out the CDC Fact Sheet if you are unable to pay your full rent!

For ANY tenant who is unable to pay their full rent:

  • Review the CDC Fact Sheet. If you can answer “Yes” to each part of the certification on page 2, please fill it out and give it to your landlord as soon as possible. (NOTE: Every adult household member must complete a separate form)
  • South Shore residents please contact NeighborWorks Housing Solutions to apply for rental assistance at (781) 422-4204 or as soon as possible.  Please keep a print out of proof of your on-line submission!
  • Keep a record of any housing search efforts as well as any rental assistance applications submitted.

The Justice Center also wants to flag that each region of the state is covered by a different legal aid office. Rather than calling GBLS's emergency line, individuals in need of assistance can visit HERE to find the Legal Aid program that covers their area along with that program's contact information.